Data Room Providers Ranking 2020
iDeals is the best virtual data room provider according to global reviews. iDeals VDR offers all the features you need with a user-friendly interface for very affordable prices.
This is the old-school provider that can become a solid solution for many businesses. However, you might feel like it’s not agile enough for your dynamic company.
Citrix company provides several software solutions for online content collaboration, secure file-sharing. Citrix Sharefile is a digital workspace by delivering apps and desktops.
Being one of the most experienced providers, Merrill Datasite knows what businesses need. This vendor tries its best to satisfy the expectation of its customers.
This provider makes due diligence way easier and faster. Firmex VDR software proposes basic cloud solutions for Small and Medium-size businesses.
Clinked Virtual Data Room is modern provided that was established in 2011 in the United Kingdom.
High price deal room software was established in 2013. It provides basic and advanced features for all types of online deals.
This provider focuses on Merger and Acquisition and does everything that’s possible to simplify this process for businesses. So if you need a solution only for M&A, take a look at Ansarada.
This minimalistic and affordable data room is a good fit for many companies. SecureDocs lacks a couple of features, but the low price makes up for it.
Digital data room commonly used for short-term deals of small and mid-size companies.
The software is published in 2011. Digify online data room software compliance to the basic security certificates and it provides the main functions of data protection.
WatchDox (acquired by BlackBerry Workspaces) software ensures the services for providing online deals and proposes several tariff plans according to clients' needs.
Box cloud management software is a collaboration platform used for online file sharing and simplification of workflow processes.
ShareVault data room is commonly used for short-term deals. The software provides basic VDR services and features for small-size business customers.
It is a german digital data room provider that well known on the local market and is a good option for a deal with European partners.
It is a polish online data room software, that is oriented on small business size clients of the European market.
The online data room software was established in 2010. CapLinked ensures the weight range of cloud services for all business size companies.
Provider proposes 7 days of free trial and several tariff plans for all business size company. It is a young provider in the cloud solutions market.
This is a great data room for small and medium-sized businesses. V-Rooms focuses on banks and accounting firms, but this software will work for other companies, too.
It is European VDR provider that was founded in London. EthosData proposes basic cloud services for providing online deals.
It is British digital data room provider that well known on the local market and is a good option for a deal with UK partners.
If you need a simple data room with basic features, Imprima might be your choice. This provider will help you with all the business processes that involve documents.
German deal room software provider that operates on the market since 2000. Brainloop VDR is used in the European software market.
Venue proposes several virtual collaboration services. It is the best VDR software for financial solutions online.
VDR software proposes the basic online deal room features for short-term deals and software collaboration.
German data room provider meets only the German security standards, such as Trusted Cloud Data Protection Profile for Cloud Services (TCDP).
Low-qualified digital data room provider that offers cloud solutions for file-sharing services. CM - cloud management software.
HighQ VDR is a web-based management solution for providing deals online. Review online data room tools for your needs.
idrShare is a young little-known provider of virtual data rooms, that operates since 2019.
German VDR provider of secure cloud services. This is a suitable solution for online document management for German clients.
It is the best cloud solution for business cooperation on the Italian market. VDR provider ensures the basic security features for the European market clients.
Virtual Data Room Guide
Are you looking for virtual data room software? Review the rating of the best data room providers on our website. Potential users expect to get safety, multi functional tools, and quality technical support. Take the most out of our independent review of virtual data rooms. We act in the best interest of the data room users-to-be and do not cooperate with VDR providers for their purposes. We gain a lot of experience in the course of our work and know for sure which aspects are critical for companies. We offer:
Data Room Providers Comparison
To keep the rating as comprehensive as possible, we break down each of the VDR features into components. Later we evaluate them separately on a scale from 1 to 5.
For example, we evaluate the web security protocols of virtual data rooms not as a whole, but as an average. Here is a sneak peek of the security components we assess:
- 2FA (two-factor authentication) protocol;
- SSL or TLS protocols;
- 256-bit AES end-to-end data encryption;
- DRM (digital rights management) limits;
- DLP system;
- ISO-27001 (digital asset security standard);
Thus, if the VDR complies with popular security protocols and does not use less popular ones, it will not receive a high rating on our website.
VDR Selection Recommendations
We apply such a detailed approach to every criterion in our online data room comparison. On our website, we share step-by-step guides for choosing and testing VDR providers. These guides help our users avoid disappointment and regret after signing the contract. They also show what things to pay attention to — from choosing data room providers to crash-testing its trial version.
Data Room Usage Guide
Setting up a virtual data room according to the needs of a particular business can be time-consuming. Registering, branding, managing files, inviting and onboarding new users, allowing and denying of the usage rights takes time. You will find a detailed tutorial on this website on how to keep such processes simple and controlled.
Users face many VDR terms when choosing a virtual data room software. That’s why we prepared a VDR Dictionary to help users understand the difference between electronic data room providers. You will find definitions and terms in the field of secure cloud services. The VDR Dictionary will help you better understand the services provided by the data room vendors. Become familiar with the terms of the virtual data room and find the answers to all questions. Learn more about VDR software, certifications, and choose the right provider for your business needs.
Tips for Choosing Data Room for M&A and Due Diligence
M&A and due diligence are among the most common use cases for virtual data rooms. That’s why we have separated these scenarios from the rest. Also, we have collected recommendations for choosing VDRs as part of these particular tasks.
What Is a Virtual Data Room?
A virtual data room is a cloud-based solution to share files and interact with other users in a completely secure manner from any device and location.
Even those companies that managed data rooms in the past have already moved to the clouds. Within the next couple of years, there will be no white-collars in the business space who remember how these rooms looked like.
How Do Virtual Data Room Providers Differ?
A reliable virtual data room is not only a tech solution. It’s also the company (provider) behind it.
When choosing software for business, you need to pay attention to the experience and reputation of the provider. Review the ranking of virtual data room providers. Compare the best providers and explore services and features. Examine the year the providers were founded and the location of the head office.
VDR providers differ from each other on many levels. These are the experience, reputation, support service quality, SLA, and other additional benefits. An extra important indicator is the provider’s understanding of its customers’ industry and how well they customize their services to the needs of the industry. For example, a provider that works primarily with banks is unlikely to be the right solution for a medical research company.
Here is a short checklist for choosing a VDR provider:
- The provider has been on the market for a long time
- Rating above 4.5
- Experience with both small companies-of-one along with global brands with a large number of employees
- SLA certification
- Fast response time (no more than 30 minutes)
- Expertise in due diligence processes
- The provider’s technical solution meets the needs of your business (95% or higher)
- Regardless of the client’s attitude towards cybersecurity, the provider focuses on protecting data
- The provider constantly introduces innovations to make the user experience within the VDR faster, more convenient, and easier
The most important criteria for choosing a VDR provider is a “crash test.” It’s the examination of data room services during the trial period. To be sure that the chosen provider will suit your company’s needs, you should test its work in every way possible. Anything from “dumb” questions to the “this feature doesn’t work properly” scenario goes.
But, before proceeding to a trial, your team must prepare and choose a provider. To make it easier for you, we have arranged a small guide on how to select a virtual data room and its provider among dozens of virtual data rooms.
Best Virtual Data Rooms Comparison
|Virtual Data Room||Rating||Deployment||Best for||Free Trial||Price Category|
|iDeals Virtual Data Rooms||4.97 out of 5.0||SaaS, Web, Cloud, Linux, Android, Windows, iOS||Small, Medium and Large businesses||30 Days Free||All price categories, including Premium|
|Intralinks Dealspace||4.85 out of 5.0||SaaS, Web, Cloud, Linux, Android, Windows, iOS||Large corporations||30 Days||Premium Software|
|Citrix Sharefile||4.72 out of 5.0||SaaS, Web, Cloud, Android, Windows||Small, Medium and Large businesses||14 Days||Not provided|
|Merrill Datasite||4.66 out of 5.0||SaaS, Web, Cloud, Linux, Android, Windows||Medium and large businesses||14 Days||High Price, Premium Software|
|Firmex||4.54 out of 5.0||SaaS, Web, Cloud, Linux, Windows, iOS||Small and Medium businesses||No||Mid-Range Price Software|
|Clinked||4.41 out of 5.0||SaaS, Web, Cloud, Android, iOS||Small businesses||10 Days||Mid-Range Price Software|
|DealRoom Software||4.33 out of 5.0||SaaS, Web, Cloud, Android, iOS||Small and Medium businesses||14 Days||High Price, Premium Software|
|Ansarada||4.19 out of 5.0||SaaS, Web, Cloud, Windows, iOS||Small businesses||Negotiable||Not provided|
|SecureDocs||4.19 out of 5.0||SaaS, Web, Cloud, Linux, Android, Windows, iOS||Small and Medium businesses||7 Days||All price categories|
|Onehub||3.97 out of 5.0||SaaS, Cloud, Linux, Android, Windows||Small-size businesses||14 Days||Low & Mid-Range Software, Discount pricing|
|Digify||3.80 out of 5.0||SaaS, Web, Cloud, Linux, Windows||Small-size businesses||7 Days||Low, Mid, High-Range Price Software|
|WatchDox (BlackBerry Workspaces)||3.68 out of 5.0||SaaS, Web, Cloud, Linux, Windows||Small, Medium and Large businesses||7 Days||All price categories|
|Box Cloud Software||3.56 out of 5.0||Web, Cloud||Small and Medium businesses||3 Days||Low & Mid-Range Software|
|ShareVault||3.35 out of 5.0||Web, Cloud, Android, iOS||Small businesses||7 Days||Low & Mid-Range Software, Discount pricing|
|Drooms||3.26 out of 5.0||Web, Cloud||Small businesses||Negotiable||Low-Price Software|
|ForData||3.25 out of 5.0||Web, Cloud||Small and Medium businesses||14 Days||Low & Mid-Range Software|
|CapLinked||3.23 out of 5.0||Web, Cloud, Linux, Windows||Small and Medium businesses||7 Days||Low, Mid, High-Range Price Software|
|DocSend||3.23 out of 5.0||Web, Cloud, Windows||Small businesses||7 Days||All price categories|
|Vault (V-Rooms)||3.19 out of 5.0||SaaS, Web, Cloud||Small businesses||14 Days||Not provided|
|EthosData||3.11 out of 5.0||Web, Cloud, Windows||Small and Medium businesses||30 Days||Low & Mid-Range Software|
|Sterling||0 out of 5.0||SaaS, Web, Cloud, Android||Small and Medium UK businesses||No||All price categories|
|Imprima||0 out of 5.0||Web, Cloud, Windows||Small businesses||No||Not provided|
|Brainloop||0 out of 5.0||Web, Cloud||Small and Medium businesses||7 Days||Not provided|
|Donnelley Venue||0 out of 5.0||SaaS, Web, Cloud||Small and Medium businesses||10 Days||All price categories|
|SmartRoom VDR||0 out of 5.0||Web, Cloud, Android, iOS||Small businesses||No||Not provided by the vendor|
|idgard||0 out of 5.0||Web, Cloud||Small businesses; European market||14 Days||Mid-Range Price Software; Euro Payments|
|Opensource CM||0 out of 5.0||SaaS, Web, Cloud||Small businesses||No||Not provided by the vendor|
|HighQ||0 out of 5.0||Web, Cloud||Small businesses||No||Not provided by the vendor|
|idrShare||0 out of 5.0||Web, Cloud, Linux, Windows||Small businesses||Negotiable||Not provided by the vendor|
|Docurex||0 out of 5.0||Linux, Windows||Small businesses; European market||10 Days||Mid-Range Price Software; Euro Payments|
|Multipartner VDR||0 out of 5.0||Web, Cloud, Linux, Windows||Small businesses||No||Not provided by the vendor|
How to Choose an Online Data Room Provider?
Choosing a VDR provider is a rather complicated task since businesses share sensitive data with a provider. Unlike any other web service businesses use (Slack, Hangouts, etc.), a virtual data room requires a more efficient approach to its selection — since you give the provider access to the sensitive data. The future of your business depends on the quantity and quality of security levels a virtual data room provider ensures.
Here is an out-of-the-box guide a company can use to compare virtual data rooms when choosing a virtual data room vendor:
- Describe the custom scenarios: how, when, and what tasks your team will use the virtual data room for. You can use the User Story Mapping (USM) approach to do this. This methodology is mostly used to develop digital products, but it is ideal for the first step of choosing a VDR provider.
- Define a team responsible for selecting and implementing VDR into business processes and defining the timelines and milestones for the project.
- Based on the USM, compile a checklist of the features your business needs from the VDR. You can break it down into components depending on their importance to your business.
- Select those VDR providers that match your checklist.
- Analyze the technical solution in combination with the vendor’s reputation.
- Check virtual data room reviews. Pay attention to the cases from your industry.
- Select the top 2-3 vendors that meet both technical and business criteria.
- Sign up for a free trial (top providers always offer one).
- At the end of every trial, analyze the usability of the VDR and the quality of the provider’s communication.
- Choose the provider that meets your requirements.
Choosing a VDR Provider for Small Businesses
For small businesses, flexibility is one of the most important criteria. Thus, small businesses need to look at exactly those features that involve large and frequent changes:
- The pay-as-you-go option allows small businesses to flexibly change users and payment options.
- Convenient and quick management of documents; users get access to the documents on-the-go from any device.
- Fast and easy onboarding: small businesses don’t have months or even days to spend learning how to use a virtual data room. Everything should be clear and user-friendly.
Choosing a VDR Provider for Medium Businesses
For midsize businesses, security and scalability are a must. But, the list below also includes all the options specific to small businesses:
- Documents and files security.
- An ability to scale up from small to large and back rapidly.
- Transparent pricing policy and reliable support.
Choosing a VDR Provider for Large Businesses
For large companies, enterprise-level security comes first. The second requirement is migration options since large businesses are likely to have used a different provider before. It is the use of the safety and convenience of VDR data sharing options to acquire companies or raise an investment that allows a medium-sized business to become a large one.
- Enterprise-level security.
- Ease of migration.
- A dedicated manager (-s) who helps large businesses to adapt the VDR to their needs as much as possible.
Virtual Data Room Solutions
Different types of businesses from various industries use virtual data rooms in different ways. Some companies use VDRs exclusively as a data storage solution. Others use them as a unified system for project management and communication within the company.
Why Use Online Data Rooms?
Despite the fact the most known virtual data room providers have their use cases in almost every business vertical, the most popular use cases for VDRs are merger and acquisition, and IPO deals (M&A).
Here are the most popular VDR use cases:
- M&A Due Diligence
- Capital raising
- Legal Document Management (Licensing Deals)
- Regulatory Risk Management
- Commercial Real Estate Transactions
- Corporate Repository
Such transactions usually involve several parties. These are the sell-side, the buyer, legal consultants, and banks, etc.
As the number of participants grows, the risk of sensitive data leaks also increases. Thus, a VDR becomes a necessary and universal tool to ensure the transaction’s security and confidentiality. It also unifies all the communication channels related to the transaction.
Who Uses Virtual Data Room?
In the meantime, the use of VDRs is not limited to M&A transactions or due diligence. This means that the list of business industries that choose virtual data room service providers grow year-over-year:
- Investment companies
- Law firms
- SaaS companies
- Biotech & Pharma
How to Use Deal Room Software?
If you are searching for a deal room software and considering a trial from several data room vendors, here’s a checklist for you below. It will speed up testing and team onboarding, and make the whole flow as organic as possible. Let’s consider a VDR getting started workflow:
- Registration. The standard procedure for any online service.
- Installation. Some VDRs work only in the cloud. Others provide native clients for every platform (Windows, Mac, Ubuntu, Android, iPad OS, iOS, etc.). Such clients, especially desktop ones, often have an advanced functionality or speed compared to the cloud version. Therefore, we recommend installing them on the selected devices.
- Setting up the structure. Please note that the top VDR providers let users create a new data room structure from scratch. Another option is to use templates prepared for different use cases.
- Uploading the files. A familiar drug & drop procedure of moving selected files into created folders.
- Adding users. It’s also possible to set up user groups and distribute access rights between users and groups.
- Sending email invitations to users.
- Working inside a virtual room in a regular mode or conducting situational transactions.
- Analyzing the usage stats and user activity. The best virtual deal rooms provide admins with tools to analyze user activity and all processes that occur with documents and data in the VDR.
- In some cases, when the VDR is used only for conducting a single transaction, the point “Close VDR” follows. In other cases, point 7 is supplemented by the item “Feedback collection and workflow optimization.”
Data Room Software Advantages
Even a simple listing of the benefits helps to understand why businesses around the globe choose this solution to manage documentation internally or conduct external transactions:
- Agile access control and document management.
- Accelerating the speed of transactions, deals, or internal processes.
- Ease of use.
- Management of a significant part of business processes within one solution.
- Increased transparency of users’ activities with documents.
- Optimizing due diligence and M&A deals.
- A decrease in software maintenance expenses.
You can use this constantly updated website and VDR ranking to choose the optimal VDR provider and enjoy all the advantages that a virtual data room gives to the business world powered by remote work.
How to Compare VDR Providers?
We brought together independent experts to create a special methodology to test virtual data rooms. We wanted to come up with an approach that would take into account both the technical and behavioral factors of the services.
This approach allowed us to collect the best data room providers on this site. These providers meet all the security and distributed work requirements regardless of the industry the business operates in.
Here is a consolidated list of criteria that our experts used to create a comparison table of online data room providers. Many components are the basis for each of these criteria:
The VDR should be equally easy to use for a tech-savvy user and for a person who does not use web services on a daily basis.
Any number of users, be it a single person or thousands of users within one company and their clients/partners, can use the data room.
Users with no tech background should be able to manage document folders. They should also have access to customization and branding options.
Regardless of the users’ WI-FI network speed, all documents stored in the virtual data room should be accessible on demand.
Every security protocol which data room providers use should follow modern online security requirements and stay invincible to any threat.
This parameter has to do with such features as access sharing and files editing/copying/downloading/commenting. It also covers extra options for working with protected files, etc.
We analyze independent websites, collect the ratings, and customer reviews for every provider.
We use two independent flows to test each of these criteria biweekly:
- Our experts sign up for trials and evaluate the provider of virtual data rooms using an extended expert questionnaire.
- We ask real users of the best virtual data rooms to fill out the user’s questionnaire. A simplified version of the expert questionnaire, it does not require the evaluation of data security protocols.
This approach ensures that our experts are unbiased — each of us has our favorite brands, you have to admit. Thus, our users get an updated independent rating of the best virtual data rooms twice per month.
So, this website provides the most up-to-date information for businesses looking for the best data room providers.