Top 10 Virtual Data Room Providers
Why do people choose data room software for business transactions?
Here are some statistics on why data room software plays such a significant role in modern dealmaking:
- 40% less time spent conducting due diligence
- 99.9% guaranteed data security
- 80% more time-efficient than a traditional data room
- up to 85% cost reduction
- 50 times faster document review with the implementation of AI
- up to 90% of due diligence can be managed within a virtual data room
What to consider when choosing a data room provider?
When comparing Virtual Data Room providers, reference a set of criteria to narrow down your search. Here are some VDR features you’d want to evaluate:
- Experience. The best Virtual Data Room will always have a solid track record. Focus on finding the establishment date and see if there’s any proof of the company’s ongoing evolution. Decades in service don’t mean much if the data room provider has stayed the same since the launch.
- Pricing. Data room providers will significantly vary in price based on the clients they cater to and the services they provide. Although it might seem logical to go for the lowest price, don’t decide on the number alone. Instead:
- Ensure the deal room software provider offers a convenient fees model.
- Evaluate your project’s needs, size, and specifics.
- Look out for any hidden charges or unclear costs.
- Ensure the deal room software provider offers a convenient fees model.
- Expertise. It’s always a good idea to go for a digital data room that assisted similar projects or businesses. Depending on the industry and the operations’ details, you can expect a certain set of functions from the online dataroom. The history of working in the same segment is great proof in this case.
- Deployment. Another excellent indicator of the value of data room service providers is technological adaptability. Developing an effective tool and adjusting it to fit different platforms is always a sign of skill and customer prioritization.
- Feedback. Also, take a moment to compare virtual data rooms according to independent user reviews. The best way to evaluate Virtual Data Room reviews is to disregard the ratings and read into each comment’s details.
To improve the Virtual Data Room comparison even further, put together a list of requirements specific to your task. For instance, if you are looking for a Virtual Data Room for due diligence, you will try and filter out the Virtual Data Room vendors who don’t specialize in that area. Or you could also check if the VDR provider you have your eye on offers support in your language.
Top 10 reasons why businesses use virtual data rooms:
- Secure sensitive information sharing and storing
- Company’s digital data protection
- Full user management control
- Access to multiple projects at the same time
- Secure remote access to business documents
- Easy search for required data
- Cost reduction due to a paperless office
- Instant interaction with partners and colleagues anywhere in the world
- Automatic data analytics
- Time saved during bulk document uploads
What are virtual data rooms used for?
Virtual deal rooms meet the requirements of many industries and projects. But several use cases fully depend on data room providers.
- M&A. Virtual data rooms for Mergers and Acquisitions take up a large portion of the market. The best data room providers for M&A enable users to significantly streamline the due diligence process by simplifying and securing large-volume document sharing.
- Due Diligence. An online data room is generally the most optimal solution for intricate due diligence procedures. That’s why many secure data room services offer templates and checklists to their users.
- Real Estate. Similar to M&A data room providers, virtual data rooms that cater to Real Estate know just how complex and multi-layered their customers’ needs are. Templates and versatile file compatibilities usually come in handy in such cases.
- IPO. Filing an IPO is yet another multiple-stage process that sometimes requires the expertise of third-party experts. Virtual data room software allows users to organize the process in the most straightforward way and avoid data confidentiality concerns.
- Corporate storage. Switching from a physical filing system to a Virtual Data Room can visibly cut down costs, support the company’s green initiative, and increase document safe-keeping.
- Fundraising. Raising funds typically translates into sharing data with an unlimited number of potential investors. Virtual data rooms enhance this process by allowing admins to closely monitor any activity, regulate access, and restrict unwanted downloads and sharing.
- Banking. Banks handle a lot of personal data that can be subjected to identity theft and other criminal activities. Utmost security and confidentiality that come with data rooms are irreplaceable in banking and other financial transactions.
- Corporate Development. Arranging all the necessary information in a secure data room allows businesses to oversee the big picture, pick up on trends and weaknesses, and develop suitable developmental strategies.
- Startups. One of the key data room features for startups is monitoring each visitor’s engagement. By evaluating the time spent on every item, virtual dataroom administrators can improve the data flow and structure to stimulate the interest of other potential investors.
Data Room Software Providers Overview
Virtual data room providers are professionals delivering software installation and maintenance services. In most cases, such teams become long-term partners for IT product clients. Cooperation consists of:
- technical assistance,
- consultations during the deal-making,
- tailoring workspaces according to changing needs.
Usually, a vdr provider guarantees data protection and unavailability of the pages to third parties. They take responsibility for hacks and similar intrusions, unlike other vendors. One more difference from other online business programs is tailoring. This feature is popular with users. Virtual workspaces do not always suit the client’s requirements. That is why a provider modifies them after discussing each aspect with a customer.
Virtual data room vendors equip with features for daily tasks and those that arise during the project implementation or deal-making. The serviceability of the tools is in check so that a client can always work at full capacity.
Best data room providers stay in touch day and night. Any company can seek help as soon as it is needed. The presence or absence of this feature can be fateful in an M&A or other complex transaction. Realizing the high probability of force majeure, some organizations consider this option one of the most critical when opting for data room software. A professional user support group processes applications in a matter of minutes. Then they propose win-win solutions to those who apply. As a rule, nobody has to pay extra for that. This proposal is included in the overall value initially.
What Ensures a Trustworthy Virtual Data Room Provider
Before an organization qualifies a particular platform as the best virtual data room, the team should analyze several aspects. Security mechanisms play a central role. As a footing for the activity, a provider must have international-level information protection standards. Another point is the simplicity or complexity of the interface. By neglecting this issue, a company runs the risk of slowing down the conclusion of transactions or work in general. Helpdesk is a must-have for a data room. In such a way, a vendor takes care of the customers. Another reason to trust is a transparent price policy. There should be no pitfalls in this matter.
Checklist for Choosing a Reliable VDR Provider
- The provider has been on the market for a long time.
- The provider has less than 10% of negative user feedback.
- The provider knows how to work with both small companies-of-one along with global brands with a large number of employees.
- The provider has an SLA.
- The provider guarantees a particular response time to the customer support team.
- The provider has clients from your industry.
- The provider’s technical solution meets the needs of your business (95% or higher).
- Regardless of the client’s attitude towards cybersecurity, the provider focuses on protecting data.
- The provider constantly introduces innovations to make the user experience within the VDR faster, more convenient, and easier.
The most important criteria for choosing a VDR provider is a “crash test.” It’s the examination of data room services during the trial period. To be sure that the chosen provider will suit your company’s needs, you should test its work in every way possible. Anything from “dumb” questions to the “this feature doesn’t work properly” scenario goes.
But, before proceeding to a trial, your team must prepare and choose a provider. To make it easier for you, we have arranged a small guide on how to select a virtual data room and its provider among dozens of virtual data rooms.
How Services of Virtual Data Room Providers Differ
A reliable virtual data room is not only a tech solution. It’s also the company (provider) behind it.
It is crucial to embrace such an alliance when choosing between different virtual data room services. Even if the data room you have chosen is crammed with features, it is necessary to evaluate VDR providers as companies. The convenience of working in the virtual data room can be destroyed by data room service providers being untrustworthy.
VDR providers differ from each other on many levels.
These are the experience, reputation, support service quality, SLA, and other additional benefits. An extra important indicator is the provider’s understanding of its customers’ industry and how well they customize its services to the needs of the industry. For example, a provider that works primarily with banks is unlikely to be the right solution for a medical research company.
The Key Distinction between Data Room Providers
Learning about the background of data room service providers helps draw some conclusions about future cooperation.
Here are a few factors to take into account:
- Presence on the market. If a vendor is a newbie, the lack of knowledge can negatively impact any stable and prosperous organization.
- Technical support. Another difference that can play a sick joke is the unavailability of technical support at any moment. The protection of privacy directly affects the security of storage.
- Security. Providers choose different mechanisms to defend the digital data room.
- Price vs. quality. It is necessary to check the availability of certain functions for a set fee. What is in one vendor’s price may be available at an additional cost turning to another one.
Trend Data Room Providers that Are on Today’s Market
Best data rooms are those in high demand because of the service delivery quality and rich feature set. Their client base is growing as companies find state-of-the-art solutions for a successful business.
Market leadership and user confidence stem from the fact that trend virtual data room software developers improve their instruments to cover all the needs. These are:
All of the above platforms are similar. They simplify the tasks of due diligence, M&As. Mobile apps empower everyone who is involved.
The most important criteria for choosing a data room software is a “crash test.” It’s the examination of data room services during the trial period. To be sure that the chosen provider will suit your company’s needs, you should test its work in every way possible. Anything from “dumb” questions to the “this feature doesn’t work properly” scenario goes.
But, before proceeding to a trial, your team must prepare and choose a provider. To make it easier for you, we have arranged a small guide on how to select the best data room and its provider among dozens of virtual data rooms.
Best Data Rooms for M&A Due Diligence
- Merrill Datasite
M&A Due Diligence is a crucial stage in the life of a company. It is full of a large amount of data and a high level of secrecy. To prevent unforeseen circumstances and negative consequences, companies use the data room. During the complex procedures, the parties need:
- maximum protection of both data and messages,
- high-tech tools that help speed up actions and work with securities,
- the assistance of the provider team to cope with the difficulties before the deal fails.
The knowledge and skills of the developers breathed new life into the procedure course. Namely, paperwork tools help speed up transactions. No one has to rummage through heaps of papers to find something. Secure data room eliminates all the typical risks that a business exposes itself daily. Consulting services of those experts who became masters in operations like M&A Due Diligence often save cooperation.
Compare Virtual Data Room Services
|Virtual Data Room||Rating||Deployment||Best for||Free Trial||Price Category|
|iDeals Virtual Data Rooms||4.97 out of 5.0||SaaS, Web, Cloud, Linux, Android, Windows, iOS||Small, Medium and Large businesses||30 Days Free||All price categories, including Premium|
|Intralinks Data Room||4.85 out of 5.0||SaaS, Web, Cloud, Linux, Android, Windows, iOS||Large corporations||30 Days||Premium Software|
|Citrix Sharefile||4.72 out of 5.0||SaaS, Web, Cloud, Android, Windows||Small, Medium and Large businesses||14 Days||Not provided|
|Merrill DataSite Review||4.66 out of 5.0||SaaS, Web, Cloud, Linux, Android, Windows||Medium and large businesses||14 Days||High Price, Premium Software|
|Firmex Data Room||4.54 out of 5.0||SaaS, Web, Cloud, Linux, Windows, iOS||Small and Medium businesses||No||Mid-Range Price Software|
|DealRoom Software||4.42 out of 5.0||SaaS, Web, Cloud, Android, iOS||Small and Medium businesses||14 Days||High Price, Premium Software|
|Clinked Data Room||4.41 out of 5.0||SaaS, Web, Cloud, Android, iOS||Small businesses||10 Days||Mid-Range Price Software|
|CapLinked Data Room||4.19 out of 5.0||Web, Cloud, Linux, Windows||Small and Medium businesses||7 Days||Low, Mid, High-Range Price Software|
|SecureDocs Data Room||4.05 out of 5.0||SaaS, Web, Cloud, Linux, Android, Windows, iOS||Small and Medium businesses||7 Days||All price categories|
|ShareVault Data Room||3.89 out of 5.0||Web, Cloud, Android, iOS||Small businesses||7 Days||Low & Mid-Range Software, Discount pricing|
|Digify Data Room||3.80 out of 5.0||SaaS, Web, Cloud, Linux, Windows||Small-size businesses||7 Days||Low, Mid, High-Range Price Software|
|Onehub Virtual Data Room||3.68 out of 5.0||SaaS, Cloud, Linux, Android, Windows||Small-size businesses||14 Days||Low & Mid-Range Software, Discount pricing|
|WatchDox (BlackBerry Workspaces)||3.68 out of 5.0||SaaS, Web, Cloud, Linux, Windows||Small, Medium and Large businesses||7 Days||All price categories|
|Box Cloud Software||3.56 out of 5.0||Web, Cloud||Small and Medium businesses||3 Days||Low & Mid-Range Software|
|Drooms Virtual Data Room||3.26 out of 5.0||Web, Cloud||Small businesses||Negotiable||Low-Price Software|
|Ansarada Data Room||3.01 out of 5.0||SaaS, Web, Cloud, Windows, iOS||Small businesses||Negotiable||Not provided|
|ForData Online Data Room||3.25 out of 5.0||Web, Cloud||Small and Medium businesses||14 Days||Low & Mid-Range Software|
|DocSend Data Room||3.23 out of 5.0||Web, Cloud, Windows||Small businesses||7 Days||All price categories|
|Vault (V-Rooms) Software||3.19 out of 5.0||SaaS, Web, Cloud||Small businesses||14 Days||Not provided|
|EthosData Virtual Data Room||3.11 out of 5.0||Web, Cloud, Windows||Small and Medium businesses||30 Days||Low & Mid-Range Software|
|Sterling Virtual Data Room||0 out of 5.0||SaaS, Web, Cloud, Android||Small and Medium UK businesses||No||All price categories|
|Imprima Virtual Data Room||0 out of 5.0||Web, Cloud, Windows||Small businesses||No||Not provided|
|Brainloop Virtual Data Room||0 out of 5.0||Web, Cloud||Small and Medium businesses||7 Days||Not provided|
|Donnelley Venue Data Room||0 out of 5.0||SaaS, Web, Cloud||Small and Medium businesses||10 Days||All price categories|
|SmartRoom VDR||0 out of 5.0||Web, Cloud, Android, iOS||Small businesses||No||Not provided by the vendor|
|idgard Virtual Data Room||0 out of 5.0||Web, Cloud||Small businesses; European market||14 Days||Mid-Range Price Software; Euro Payments|
|Opensource Cloud Management||0 out of 5.0||SaaS, Web, Cloud||Small businesses||No||Not provided by the vendor|
|HighQ Electronic Data Room||0 out of 5.0||Web, Cloud||Small businesses||No||Not provided by the vendor|
|idrShare Virtual Data Room||0 out of 5.0||Web, Cloud, Linux, Windows||Small businesses||Negotiable||Not provided by the vendor|
|Docurex Online Data Room||0 out of 5.0||Linux, Windows||Small businesses; European market||10 Days||Mid-Range Price Software; Euro Payments|
|Multipartner VDR||0 out of 5.0||Web, Cloud, Linux, Windows||Small businesses||No||Not provided by the vendor|
New Generation Virtual Data Room Service Providers
The last decade has been a period of many virtual data room services entering the market. It is because the popularity is growing. The recently developed deal room software is effortless data and user management. It takes even fewer than a couple of hours from the moment of purchase to installation on corporate devices. For the formation of the pricing, other grounds are the base. Prices are still different, but by and large, they are lower than traditional virtual deal room providers. The priority was to design a shield tool against hackers, competitors, and malicious software. And the principal benefit for offices today is a manageable interface. No matter how many functions there, people with different skills can easily manage virtual workspaces.
There is more to say, getting closer to the issue of security. Organizations not only store data in one place, but they also share it. Otherwise, the deal-making would be impossible remotely. Modern vdr is the guarantor of the protection of files no matter where they are. The same goes for encryption using the most complex algorithms. Authentication is not possible by entering a username and password. To do this, each visitor has to pass authorization in two or more stages. That implies a randomly generated combination of numbers or letters that the user receives on a mobile phone, mail, etc. Administrators are managers of the electronic system. Without the permission of these persons, others cannot view or perform other operations with documents. Leakages caused by persons inside the organization are unlikely. One of the means to prevent this is watermarking. It is a deterrent for unscrupulous colleagues and intruders. With the applying of such marks, it is easy to track a document. The power of a fresh vdr data room lies in sensible approaches to price, the comfort of workspaces, and design.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a virtual data room (VDR)?
Virtual data room (VDR) or Deal Room is electronic storage that differs from other programs in additional functions and grades of safety. The platform overshadowed traditional storage. It took a little time because a vdr offered businesses previously unknown tools. Administrators have a lot of tools to manage access. Users receive permissions to work with certain data and for specific actions. In any case, managers can restrict access for each guest or authorized person. Up to this point, no programs have managed to break the integrity of this tool.
Who in the corporation buys the Virtual Data Room software?
The decision to purchase data room software is not usually specific to a position. Depending on the company’s size and segment, virtual data room obtaining and administration might be the responsibility of anyone from an office manager to the CEO.
How secure is a data room?
The best virtual data rooms will guarantee 99.9% security. One way to confirm such statements is to check the data room provider’s standard certificates, such as ISO 27001, SOC 2, or SSAE 16.
What is a traditional data room?
A traditional data room is a physical space that contains large amounts of data. Typically, traditional data rooms have access restrictions and intensified security.
How are data rooms any different from platforms like Box or Dropbox?
The main advantage of a virtual deal room over public-access cloud storage is security measures. A data room will implement more strict protective protocols and monitor every user’s activity in detail.
Plus, virtual data room providers often provide additional tools for making the user’s VDR experience more effective and convenient.
What is the difference between cloud storage and a virtual data room?
Although data room providers often use cloud technology to store users’ data, a data room is not the same as a public access cloud storage platform. The critical difference is the security measures featured in virtual data room software. For example:
- Multiple-step verification
- IP-based access restrictions
- Dynamic watermarking and fence view of the documents
- Adjustable restrictions on retrieving and sharing the data
- Various levels of access privileges
How does a Virtual Data Room work?
Data room software operates as an extranet that can be accessed via the Internet. Essentially, virtual deal rooms are highly secure storage spaces with an option to modify data, communicate, and enhance the workflow from anywhere in the world.
What should be included in a data room?
Depending on your task, you can request a checklist of the items to include in the data room from the VDR provider. For example, virtual data rooms for Mergers and Acquisitions will need to feature sections like employee information, intellectual property documents, director board materials, financials, major contracts, and others.
Are data rooms secure?
Yes. But you still need to find a way to confirm the security guarantee of your VDR provider. For instance, you can ask about their data storing solutions, virtual and physical, and compliance certificates from established organizations. You might also go over to virtual data room review portals.
How to use a Virtual Data Room?
In case you have never used a virtual data room, the best data room providers will always have a training program in place. Depending on your company’s size and the overall technological literacy of all the VDR users, it might take anywhere from 15 minutes to a few hours to fully comprehend how to use the data room in your case.