What is DataSite?
Datasite is a SaaS provider targeted at the M&A industry. Formerly known as Merrill Corporation, the company rebranded itself in the beginning of 2020, taking the name of its best-known solution, the Datasite virtual data room.
A top-of-the-line VDR, Datasite caters to dealmakers across the corporate spectrum. Companies big and small, law firms, investment bankers — all find in the Datasite VDR a valuable tool for internal data management, capital raising, deal marketing, due diligence, IPOs, post-merger integration, company restructuring, and more.
In spite of its rebranding (having changed from Merrill VDR to Datasite One, to Datasite), Datasite is an old face in the M&A business. But it’s also an innovative brand that brings to the table an ever-expanding, customer-inspired array of features.
With decades of industry expertise, the platform has a lot to offer. The Corporation Merrill Datasite customer service was known for its efficiency, and that tradition carries on to its modernized version. That’s just one aspect of the service, but it goes to show the commitment to customers that is the hallmark of the best VDRs.
As an all-around VDR solution, the Datasite data room offers a variety of resources from ranking and tracking potential buyers to automatically sending customized emails.
Among its standout features, you’ll find:
- AI-powered data redaction: After uploading and indexing your files, you can specify words or other terms to be redacted and the system will do the rest, carrying out the changes across all files.
- Diligence analytics: Visual, easy-to-process dashboards give you all the stats you need on everything from buyer engagement to user actions, permissions, questions asked, and everything in-between.
- Automated Q&A process: Allows your Q&A team to cooperate across files, tracking user interest and detecting the most popular questions asked.
- Fast indexing: The automatic indexing allows you to use placeholders for greater customization and adaptability.
- Multi-lingual support: Solve any issues and have your questions answered in your own language, whether it’s German, Mandarin, or Spanish.
- Omnichannel platform: Work on the go through your device of choice, ranging from phones to tablets to 2-in-1s.
- Bulletproof security: Datasite goes the extra mile to guarantee high standards of confidentiality and data protection, including special security training for its workers and employing white-hat hackers to breach-test the platform.
The Datasite pricing system works on a per-quote basis, and as of November 2021, there are no pricing plans or packages available on its website.
Based on user reports, pricing is tiered according to the level of usage — the price increases according to the number of document pages hosted on the platform.
Other reported pricing features worth noting:
- Datasite offers the possibility for VDR hibernation at a reduced price
- It requires a minimum project cost
- It has only one general plan, allowing unlimited users, admins, and data rooms
- It may offer some flexibility in the way of discounts and customized plans
Free trial and demo version
While Datasite does not currently work with free trials, it does offer a 14-to-45 free period where you can use the platform in preparation for a deal. If the deal is carried through, you are billed as per the agreed-to plan; if not, you’re not charged.
At the moment, Datasite does not offer a demo version.
That said, the former Merrill data room website allows you to understand how the system works through an interactive section. After entering your industry, data room needs, and use cases you get a comprehensive preview of its most useful resources for your particular case.
Support and compatibility
Datasite has a solid and well-reviewed support system. It offers assistance 24/7/365, working in 20 languages with more than 150 in-house agents.
Help features include:
- phone support (available all day, 365 days a year)
- email support
- online chat (for sales questions only)
- comprehensive FAQ section
- active online community (the Dealmaker’s Circle)
- blog (including posts on service features and industry-relevant news)
- frequent webinars and events
Datasite offers a cross-platform experience. For computers, its app is compatible with the Windows and Mac operating systems, as well as running on Google Chrome, Mozilla, IE (11 and above), and Microsoft Edge.
Its mobile version is available for both Android and iOS platforms and can be downloaded directly from the Google Play Store or Apple’s App Store. It runs on smartphones, tablets, and iPads.